Today (21 May 2020) 9.30 hrs., General Prawit Wongsuwan, Deputy Prime Minister, was a chairman to open the Ruam Jai Thai project to restore forests and increase green spaces. He also gave value sprout together with pilot planting perennial trees that have economic value, flowering-plant, edible trees. This pilot project aims to restore forest damaged from the forest fire to be plentiful and greenery at the Doi Suthep forest, Ban Sala (Huai Tung Tao), Moo 3, Don Kaew Sub-district, Mae Rim District, Chiang Mai Province. The total areas are 210 Rai, 1,300 tones.
At this moment, H.E. Mr. Warawut Silpa-archa, the Minister of the Natural Resources and Environment, together with Mr. Jatuporn Buruspat, Permanent Secretary of the Natural Resources and Environment, Mr. Charoenrit Sanguansat, Governor of Chiang Mai, along with Senior Exclusive under the Ministry, government agencies, private sector, and public sector in the area join planting together with 25 districts in Chiang Mai at the same time.
Additionally, General Prawit Wongsuwan, Deputy Prime Minister, stated that the government has the policy of forest restoration in Thailand responding to the King RAMA 9 and 10 projects to have more perennial trees in the country. Because several areas have been affected by deforestation, this pilot project will excite people to plants more perennial trees that have high value and can be used as security in the future and as a property for the family to maximize benefits for the people.
This event aims to implant a conscience to love and appreciate forest resources to restore forest damaged from forest fires this year. Later, General Prawit Wongsuwan, Deputy traveled to Chaloem Phrakiat 80th Anniversary Auditorium, Chiang Mai Provincial Administrative Organization, Muang District, Chiang Mai Province, to listen to the workshop summary for conclusion and lesson learn (After Action Review: AAR), on preventing and solving smog problems in the north of Thailand, under the theme “Sustainable Forest Fire and Haze Prevention and Mitigation.”
H.E. Mr. Warawut Silpa-archa, Minister of Natural Resources and Environment, reported the meeting summary, which the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment had held between 19 – 21 May 2020. There were 3 sub-groups to brainstorm ideas and lessons learn AAR to discover causes of problem, obstacles, and suggestions for prevention of forest fires in the north of Thailand to obtain the conclusion of solutions of smog problems in the north that are appropriate and sustainable.
In this opportunity, General Prawit Wongsuwan, Deputy Prime Minister, acknowledged and encouraged together with emphasizing to everyone to take action to prevent and solve forest fire and smog problems to achieve these goals as follows.
- Prevention and resolution of forest fire and haze problems have to be consistent. Even though the situation has already passed, we need to prepare and determine short-term and long-term measures to get rid of the problem quickly and sustainably. Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment organizes a consultation meeting with related organizations to develop sustainable forest fire and haze prevention and mitigation to be concrete and propose to the Cabinet.
- Setting up forest protection of the villages in the 9 northern provinces that have a high risk of forest fires. The public can participate in forest protection and support in forest fire fighting.
- Using modern technology including sufficient equipment for forest fire fighting operation for forest conservation, fuel management, and monitoring of forest fire and smog.
- Every agencies and sectors need to be involved in solving these problems. The Provincial Governor is the main focal point with having the Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, and other related agencies to support in defining preventive measures and solving problems of forest fire and smog at the provincial level.
- Provincial and center organizations have to create public awareness and understanding about the efforts and directions of the government in solving problems to cooperate as networks of forest conservation, especially the Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, and military units must work together in communicating to create awareness at the village level.
- Changing people who have forest fire behavior and deforestation into a network of forest conservation. Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives, and military units need to build trust, create knowledge, promote career and agriculture that is environmentally friendly.
7. Cooperating with the ASEAN in solving the cross-border smog problem sustainably, by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Discussions with ASEAN countries to have a clear guideline and concrete results of implementations. Additionally, the 3th Army Area and border provinces need to thoughtfully and sustainably build cooperation with neighboring countries.